Friday 27 October 2017

What?! I have a black friend!

2017. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was back in 1950. 


When I look at the world today, I am ashamed. I am ashamed of our leaders and those in authority. Racism is rampant in our society and some people act as if nothing is wrong. Every day something racially motivated is reported in the media, it's sickening.

My mother is mixed with Spanish and East Indian and my dad was of African descent. I am a mixture of many races and cultures and I am very proud to be me. But when people look at me, they don't always see all of that, to them I'm just a black girl. 

A few years ago I met someone and we became friends. This person and I had many things in common so our conversations were easy and natural. After a while, I started noticing things and I started to pay closer attention to the things they said. 

One day, I decided to be blunt because I was quite sick of their behavior. I asked if I was the only mixed race friend they had. To which they quickly replied "No! I have a black friend, we used to go to the movies together."  Now, this may sound innocent, but to me, it was alarms and whistles going off in my head. 

There were so many little incidents that occurred where I knew this person was prejudice, but somehow I allowed myself to ignore it. Maybe I'm too trusting, maybe it was stupidity or maybe I was just curious to see the outcome. 

I think now I can understand myself and I am better able to deal with such situations. But being depressed at that time I endured and allowed someone who was clearly prejudiced and whose family was prejudice to stay in my life for much longer than they should have been. 

I realize now that I had something they needed and wanted and that's why they stayed. The moment they stopped getting what they wanted, that friendship crashed and burned. Go figure people.

It's 2017 and why people are still racist and prejudiced is beyond my understanding. Every day I still pray for that person and their family, and I pray that the world changes so our future children could live in a better society. 

Not until we put aside our differences, will we come together and unite our world. God created us ALL in his image and likeness. We are ALL mankind.

PEACE. LOVE. RESPECT.

Until next time, love and take care of each other.
- Latoya. 

No comments:

Post a Comment